[thelist] RE: Strategic Advertising

Caleb Mazalevskis webmaster at cmaza.net
Tue Dec 21 06:38:09 CST 2004

Steven Streight wrote:

> I can't make any sense out of it. The typos,
> incorrectly spelled words, dense paragraphs,
> mysterious navbar links ("Files"), the vague rambling
> about nebulous non-topics, etc. make me feel rather
> drowsy and uninspired to pursue whatever this murky
> site has to offer anybody.

Okay... if you've got the time, mind doing me a favour and pointing out
some of these things to me? (to save the people on this mailing list the
annoyance of reading over errors, feel free to email me directly)

1. Where I have made typing errors and incorrectly spelt words? I'm not
fond of typing errors, but I'm unfamiliar with methods of validation.
2. How do my navbar links qualify as mysterious? Is it the names? Should
I be changing things like "Files" to something like "Downloads"?
3. Calling my website content "vague rambling about nebulous non-topics"
isn't exactly very direct. :P

> Even "Music" link in top navbar merely led to numbered
> list of legalistic restrictions the user must agree
> to, but no indication of what kind of music was
> available: techno? rock? avant garde? jazz? classical?
> folk?

I produced a varied range of styles, hence I've noted the type of style
each song is just below it's title caption.
Got any suggestions for improoved design?

> You don't have a chance in hell of standing out and
> gaining any loyal long-term users, with this kind of
> content and organization.
>
> Put your whatever is causing your mind to be fuzzy
> down and roll up your sleeves and do some serious
> thinking and work.

I never started the HitList with the intention of it lasting the
lifespan of my entire website or being anything other than an
experiement, but I was hoping it would be more successful than it has
been at current and hoping it would last longer than it has so far, but
I'm questioning it.

Being completely honest and from a marketing perspective, do you think
maybe it's time to conclude and move onto something else?

-Caleb.