[thelist] Database Licensing Question

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Tue Dec 21 09:29:41 CST 2004

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 15:28, Raditha Dissanayake wrote:
> >I would look at MSDE - that's pretty much free to use, and you can
> >redistribute it if you have Visual Studio etc.
> >

> It is rare that I agree with a M$ advocate but you can say the closed
> source MSDE is more free to use than the supposedly open source mysql

It might be a good solution for the OP, although there are a couple of
lightweight OS databases like mSQL that I'd prefer, for portability and
footprint reasons, if nothing else.

> :-) For someone on the windows platform i would say there is little
>
> reason to use mysql anymore.

Well... scalability would be one... MSDE is restricted to 2GB database size,
and 5 concurent users... and when you need to scale to MSSQL your licenses go
through the roof.
And almost all OS projects will support mySQL out of the box, and there's
masses of example code out there, and it's cross-platform etc etc.

I think you can state that you don't need mySQL if you use Microsoft products
exclusively, but if you do any OS work it'd be sorely missed.

Richard