[thelist] Total separation of content and presentation

Ellen Kanner ellen.t.kanner at Dartmouth.EDU
Tue Dec 21 09:28:08 CST 2004

We are looking to use <divs>, most definitely.

What we're trying to accomplish is a page laid out in the CSS,
independent of the order/structure it appears in the HTML.  <divs> that
are independent of one another and could be relocated, within the CSS,
without having to go into the HTML.  Not using container <divs>, if
it's possible.
We're trying to establish our 'perma-code', so should a new design come
down the pike, we could modify the style sheets in a few locations,
rather than go in to thousands of HTML pages and do the restructuring
there. Anyone done tests without container <divs> and hacks? Our layout
will be three fluid columns, any length, with flexible vertical sizing
on divs so text can be resized.

We'd like to talk with anyone who has experience with this...

: )  ellen

On Dec 21, 2004, at 9:34 AM, Tony Crockford wrote:

At 14:01 on Tuesday, 21 Dec 2004, Ellen Kanner wrote:

> We've been searching far and wide without (complete) success, and it
> may not be possible. But, before we give in and use divs instead of
> tables, we thought we'd ask if anyone has worked on this.
>
> Can you help?

CSS can only position elements on a page.  usually you group a number
of paragraph elements in a div and position that.

I'm not sure I'm clear on how you plan to position groups of elements
without using divs.  I'm also unclear as to why you'd want to do this?

a simply structured html document:

makes more sense than trying to layout individual paragraphs, links and
lists.

perhaps you could explain in more detail what you hope to acheive?

;o)

http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/