[thelist] Copyright breach - advice please

Help Center Live - Mike mike at helpcenterlive.com
Wed Dec 22 08:50:24 CST 2004

Hi,

I'm a newbie on the list but I'd really appreciate some advice on a
difficult issue.

I wrote a PHP chat application and registered it with SourceForge about
a year ago. It is pretty popular (c 3000 downloads a month).

A few days ago one of my users informed me that another website is
providing the app for download but it is attributed to someone else. I
downloaded this version and all the developer has done is search and
replace my copyright lines and make very minor changes to some of the
graphics.

The developer is Portuguese and Google translator doesn't really help,
but it is obvious that they are claiming it as their own work.

My website is www.helpcenterlive.com
The offending version is at http://www.weslley.com/scripts.htm (WI PHP
Live Help)

As I mentioned, the downloads are identical apart from the copyright
search and replace, the name, and the translation of some of the
images.

What should I do?

Mike