[thelist] Copyright breach - advice please

M. Seyon evoltlist at delime.com
Wed Dec 22 10:26:57 CST 2004

Message from Andre Avorio (12/22/2004 12:03 PM)
>On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:50:24 +0000, Help Center Live - Mike wrote:
> > The developer is Portuguese and Google translator doesn't really help,
> > but it is obvious that they are claiming it as their own work.
>
>It means (free translation):
>
>Weslley Interactive (sic!) offers some PHP scripts free of charge,
>under the GNU license. You can download these scripts from our website
>and install them on your server, but you cannot make any change on the
>source code without previous authorization from Weslley Interactive.

Having read this (and not having visited the actual site), I'd say they are
not actually coming out and claiming ownership of the code.

I could see them potentially weaselling their way out of it by saying they
were just redistributing a script that was already available from an open
source repository.

I'd certainly initiate contact with the site owner first. Be cordial, but
firm. Don't start off "You *@#% you stole my @#*$* code you #$@%" ;-)

regards.
-marc

--
Trinidad Carnival in all its photographic glory. Playyuhself.com
http://www.playyuhself.com/