[thelist] Copyright breach - advice please

Keith Gaughan keith at digital-crew.com
Wed Dec 22 11:16:32 CST 2004

James Hardy wrote:

> As far as I can see there is little or anything you can do, you released
> the code under the GPL, in translating the images into Portugese they
> can be said to have created a "derivitive work". As they give away all
> the code themselves and a copy of the GPL with it, they seem to be in
> full compliance as I can see nothing in the GPL requiring that original
> authors be acknowledged, merely that they show what changes have been
> made and they do that in CHANGELOG.

I think the problem is that they have (a) deleted all references to the
original author, which they can't do, and (b) claimed it as their own
work, which they can't do.

You see, Mike's copyright still applies. Their copyright only applies to
the parts they added. The GPL itself doesn't state that, that's how
copyright law works.

K.

--
Keith Gaughan, Developer
Digital Crew Ltd., Pembroke House, Pembroke Street, Cork, Ireland