[thelist] Copyright breach - advice please

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Wed Dec 22 12:58:01 CST 2004

Andre Avorio wrote:

>It means (free translation):
>
>Weslley Interactive (sic!) offers some PHP scripts free of charge,
>under the GNU license. You can download these scripts from our website
>and install them on your server, but you cannot make any change on the
>source code without previous authorization from Weslley Interactive.

Anyone remotely familiar with the GPL ("GNU License") will realize that
their statement isn't even consistent with the GPL, or open source in
general for that matter.  The GPL explicitly permits anyone to make
changes to the code, for their own use, but if they distribute it, they
are under certain obligations such as give credit to the original
authors as well as keep the same license.

I wonder what benefit these folks actually imagine they get out of
violating the license this?  What possible benefit can they derive from
claiming the code as their own that they COULDN'T get by playing by the
rules of the GPL?  Yeah, people will think they wrote it, but IMO it's
silly to run the risk of being exposed as a fraud - hardly worth it...
Discouraging people from changing the code means they also lose out on
the opportunity to get bug fixes and improvements from others.

I suspect this is the result of a poor understanding of the the GPL and
the concepts of open source, by the Weslley people, that is.  If I were
the rightful author of this code, I'd begin by sending these folks a
polite but clear message that explains where they have breached the
license and demand that they make the necessary changes in order to
comply with it. Again, I don't see any valid reason (even self-serving)
why they would foolhardily refuse to comply.

/Mattias Thorslund

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us