[thelist] Global.asa

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Dec 30 20:31:17 CST 2004

Hi Chris,

I do not believe that merely opening Global.asa in Notepad will cause your
application to restart.

However, it is easy to test. In your global.asa set an application variable
to the current time in application_onstart. Retrieve this value in an ASP
page. Now open the global.asa file in notepad, and close notepad without
making any changes. Refresh the ASP page in question. If the application
variable has a new value, then the app has been recycled.

: A cooleague informed me that by merely opening the Global.asa file and
: making no changes one would precipitate an IIS restart.

Let's make sure we're talking about the right thing here - IIS *does not*
restart no matter what you do to a global.asa. All that happens is that the
particular ASP application is restarts. IIS keeps working just fine.

Cheers
Ken

: -----Original Message-----
: From: thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org
[mailto:thelist-bounces at lists.evolt.org] On
: Behalf Of Chris.Marsh at Callserve.com
: Sent: Friday, 31 December 2004 4:24 AM
: To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
: Subject: [thelist] Global.asa
:
: All
:
: Regarding the special file Global.asa in ASP, the MSDN documentation states
: the following:
:
: "When you save changes to the Global.asa file, the server finishes
: processing all of the current application requests before it recompiles the
: Global.asa file. During that time, the server refuses additional requests
: and returns an error message stating that the request cannot be processed
: while the application is being restarted."
:
: A cooleague informed me that by merely opening the Global.asa file and
: making no changes one would precipitate an IIS restart. I'm having problems
: fnding any authoritative documentation on this issue - does anyone know
: whether this is correct or have any decent links?
:
: Many thanks!
: Chris Marsh