[thelist] Response.Redirect (ASP)

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri Jan 7 09:51:52 CST 2005

Rob,

It is possible to access network resources using the UNC (such as
\\server\folder\etc) through Internet Explorer.  However, that necessitates
that you can somehow get the browser to have in its address bar the UNC for
the file.  When you are using the HTTP protocol (or HTTPS) through IE you
are, effectively, locked into the web-centric protocols (http, https, ftp,
mail, etc).  That means going from http://www.domain.com to \\server\folder\
is NOT going to work without the user typing in the address themselves.

Imagine, if you would, the security risk that would open up if you could
click on a link on a bad webpage which opens the following within a hidden
frame: \\localhost\c$\somefile !!  I don't think even MS is that careless.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/