[thelist] adding text to a form via javascript

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 14:48:27 CST 2005

On Jan 13, 2005, at 2:30 PM, Dan McCullough wrote:

> I have a form where if the client doesnt want to place a subject I
> need to put one in there when
> its submitted.  I thought of using the validation javascript, but how
> do I put that in there?

Dan,

I asked a similar question on [theList] a while back, and eventually
figured it out.

You might be able to use the thread I STARTED here as a guide:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20041206/thread.html#166946

Go there, and follow the thread named "JavaScript Validation for
Pull-Down Menus and Radio Buttons "

I included a for Dummies ( in my own words ) explanation of my solution
at the bottom of this segment of the thread:
http://lists.evolt.org/archive/Week-of-Mon-20041206/166946.html

Also, if you are trying to write Validation code for text input fields
in Dreamweaver, there is a very handy tool in Dreamweaver that will
mark it up for you by means of WYSIWYG - the Behaviors panel Validate
Form tool.

1.  Go to the menu Window< Behaviors ( if it's not open already )

2.  In Dreamweaver, select for form field you want to validate with
Javascript

3.  In the Behaviors field, click on the "+" button and select Validate
Form

4.  Follow on from here, the Behaviors panel makes it pretty easy to
follow.

N O T E :  I think you can only validate text fields with the Validate
Form tool?

D I S C L A I M E R :
I am by no means a Javascript Guru, I really don't know much about it,
I was just lucky enough to get something working, which is similar to
what you are looking or...I hope.

Good luck!