[thelist] MySQL Drivers on Win2K

Michele Foster (WizarDev) michele at wizardev.ca
Fri Jan 14 22:45:44 CST 2005

Replying to myself ..

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michele Foster (WizarDev)" <michele at wizardev.ca>

> I have created a MySQL database at my hosting company.  I can access it
from
> my local machine with MySQL Front and I can access it from another host
that
> I know offers MySQL too.  However, I cannot get it to work locally.  The
> error message I'm getting is:
>
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'
>
> [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default
> driver specified
>
> /db.asp, line 9
>
> Where line is 9 is the cnn.open statement.
>
> My host said I needed to install the MySQL drivers for Windows, which I
> found here and installed.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/products/connector/odbc/
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/ODBC_Connector.html
>

> I've subsequently stopped and restarted IIS and PWS and rebooted the
> machine.  I've tried to create File and System DSN entries even though my
> connection string is DSL-less.  The drivers appear as options under the
ODBC
> manager.

After more testing and google searching and trying and retrying different
ideas, I still can't get this to work.  However, I think the problem isn't
exactly as I've identified above and appears to be a known problem (security
feature) of IIS.

I can't get my ASP pages to run locally under IIS (win2K) and access a
remote database.  Both MySQL and SQL Server databases.  Though it is MySQL
that I'm struggling to get working at the moment.  I suspect it has
something to do with permissions on the IUSER_mymachine account that runs
the ASP pages, but I've been unable to figure out how to fix it.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Mich