[thelist] popgurls preview

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Sat Jan 15 11:35:41 CST 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 04:51, aardvark wrote:
> it ain't perfect, but i'm pleased with it... comments appreciated:
> 	http://roselli.org/popgurls/
>
> for reference, the original site that is being rebuilt into this design;
> 	http://popgurls.com/

Hi there,

The site feels nice, snappy and lightweight.

I don't like the green/pink combination... might work for females though..
The woman on the frontpage looks a bit in pain, especially with part of her
head cut off...

The font-size is too small, but a few mouse-wheel scrolls sorted that, and
everything scales nicely.

for some reason the 4 images of laughing woman on the front page are squashed
to 1/3 of the correct height. On subsequent pages they are OK.

Why use the same arrow-icon for "read more" and "Submit" ? and why did you do
this: alt="Submit" title="" ? I'm sure you know only the title attribute will
give the users a clue to the button function in most browsers, so why give a
blank value?
Also, on the internal pages you do use a "submit" button - maybe make that
more consistent.

Why not validate xhtml1.0 transitional? html4 validation is so sloppy almost
anything will pass, so it doesn't really qualify as a mark of quality.
Besides, all assistive technologies will have an easier time parsing
well-formed content.

You might add the 'scope' attribute to data tables, as this is a simple
addition, and allows screen-readers to describe tables better.

The footer bar looks far better on the internal pages, than on the front-page,
where it is too big.

I think for an entertainement site more images might work, for instance some
thumbnails on the entertainment page.

Nice job overall though.

Richard.