[thelist] Image Challenge System

Benjamin Tilley kalos at carolina.rr.com
Mon Jan 17 00:07:58 CST 2005

>Russ wrote (1/16/05 11:24 PM):
>
>>I'm curious to know if anyone has utilized an Image Challenge System in
>>order to prevent SPAM from appearing in comments sections on websites.

I've never used them but have kept up with them as an interesting
technique.  There's a good article about how futile they actually are at
the Perl website
(http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=4743&cid=7196).  Inside the article is
a link to Perl Monks where there is detailed code on how he defeated (with
comments on how to better improve) just such a system.

Much like locking your doors in an airport parking lot, it keeps honest
people honest.  And if you are going to use such a system please keep in
mind that your alpha-text should be legible regardless of its image
form.  I've signed up for a few things and had to regenerate the
'passphrase' because ones looked like capital I's which looked like lower
case L's.  Serif fonts are a must.

-ben