[thelist] RE: trusted computer book publishers

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 15:02:30 CST 2005

I have several computer book ideas that I want to
write proposals for and shop around--without an agent.

Now maybe someone can assist me in one particular.

What computer book publishers do you trust, admire,
and value the most. Their books are reliable,
accurate, practical, extremely authoritative, and
comprehensive in treatment of subjects.

And which ones do you feel less confident about?

No harsh put downs, unless overwhelmingly warranted,
please.

I find I favor Osborne/McGraw Hill, largely due to
Thomas Powell's WEB DESIGN book, which was the first
web book I bought. (First read was Nielsen's DESIGNING
WEB USABILITY).

I also like New Riders.

I'm wondering what opinions are out there on such
publishers as O'Reilly, Manning, etc.

Of course, I avoid any book with "Idiot" or "For
Dummies" or "___________ for Brain Dead Drug Addled
Piece of Work Nincompoops Who Are Exceptionally
Retarded and Can't Understand Anything At All"

Thanks a lot. I value any input I receive.

Not titles of books this time.

Just publishers please.

=====
Steven Streight