[thelist] How do you work with other web designers?

patrick pms at stoutstreet.com
Wed Jan 19 09:19:58 CST 2005

Diane Soini wrote:
> Hi,
> I have never been able to solve this issue and wonder if anybody has any
> suggestions.
>
> I frequently work with people who are very adept with graphic design and
> can create a nice-looking design using Dreamweaver and Photoshop. What
> makes them successful and productive is the wysiwyg environment.
>
> When I create web content there is virtually nothing visible in a
> wysiwyg tool. Or if there is, it's doesn't appear close to what the
> browser renders. Some of the reasons for this is the use of rules-based
> CSS layout, server-side includes and javascript.
>
> So, my question is, since the way I do web design is so incompatible
> with wysiwyg, how do we work together? So far what I do is go back to
> tables and Dreamweaver "layers", but I feel that dumbs down my resume a
> bit.
>
> -Diane

Not knowing any specifics, a few things:
	does the code validate?
	if you are going for valid + standards-friendly, are you testing on a
more standards-friendly browser first, then fixing for others after the
fact?

If you specialize in production, it seems the key is to render in
(X)HTML/CSS/images what the designer of the site provided to you in a
PSD file. You can do this in a valid/standards-friendly way, but it
isn't always the easy way.

patrick sanders
http://www.stoutstreet.com
web sites that fit