[thelist] XML and javascript and loading more than one file

Peter-Paul Koch pp.koch at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 09:22:23 CST 2005

> What's the best way to load a bunch of XML files with javascript and
> then concatenate all the loaded data into a single unit for further
> processing? I've tried loading them in sequence and filling a hidden
> div with all the nodes. I'm wondering if maybe there's a way to do it
> without using a hidden div or iframe, but just concatenate it all into
> one big unit.
>
> The hidden div method works ok, but I get strange results in IE6 (the
> only browser I've tested). The first element somehow drops its opening
> tag.

In theory you could use a document fragment, but that's not supported
by Explorer.

I think that you've chosen the best option for now. As to the IE
problem, we need to see the script at work to solve that one.

ppk, freelance web developer

Bug Report: Report bugs yourself, or comment on previously
reported ones.
http://www.quirksmode.org/bugreports/