[thelist] browser hijacking

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 14:17:03 CST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:16:45 -0500, Bruce McIntyre
<bmcintyre at issgroup.net> wrote:
> Find another checker that will find what you do have.
> One help would be to run the free online version of TrendMicro athome.
> This will find some things that nothing else seems to do.  Also, by
> AdAware in addition to SpyBot or another one will help.  They all find
> something different.  I find the AdWatch portion of AdAware does a good
> job of warning me when something trys to change (or change back) a
> hijack or homepage altering program.  With SpyBot, turn on it's
> real-time checking as well.  This will notify you whenever the hijacker
> tries to run.

In addition, as much as possible, try to do all of this checking while
not connected to the internet. With a product like AdAware, where it
tries to do updates, this may be difficult. But it will also restrict
the power of the spyware or adware or hijack software.

If all else fails, reformatting the hard drive works everytime. :-P

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd