[thelist] browser hijacking

David Travis dwork at macam.ac.il
Thu Jan 20 02:13:21 CST 2005

Hello Mark,

I am not sure whether this suggestion came up already:

Check whether your Hosts file was manipulated. This is the first place the
computer checks in order to resolve domain names. So if someone changes the
IP behind Google's domain in this file you will be redirected to the worng
place.

By default you should find there only one entry for "localhost".

You can find the file (at least on XP machines) at:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Good Luck!
David Travis.