[thelist] Embedding Quicktime and AVI with xhtml code that validates

Dave dave at tokyocomedy.com
Thu Jan 20 21:46:54 CST 2005

   The Situation:
   I want to put a short video on my web site. I have made two versions,
one in Quicktime format, and one in AVI format, for Mac and Windows
users, respectively. I wanted to make sure the pages also validated, and
I came across this page which discusses the issue:
   http://realdev1.realise.com/rossa/rendertest/quicktime.html

   The pages where I put my video are here:
   Quicktime -> http://www.theloop.jp/cm_mov.php
   AVI -> http://www.theloop.jp/cm_avi.php

   The Problem:
   The page with the Quicktime displays okay, in XP/FireFox at least,
and validates, although I'm having trouble getting the peramaters of the
Quicktime object to behave the way I want. I would like to see the
status of the download in the Quicktime controller, but finding out how
to do that eludes me.
   Of more worry is the AVI page, which will not display the AVI file
either in Firefox or IE6. If I look at code from other web pages, it
doesn't validate. If I use valid code similar to what I created the
Quicktime page with, it doesn't display.

   The Question:
   Can someone point me to a resource that demonstrates how to place AVI
or WMV and other video objects into a web page with valid code? I have
been looking around on the net for hours now without finding any really
solid advice.

    Known issues:
    People without Japanese fonts installed on their computers may have
most of the text in the menus or the content of the web pages on my site
be replaced with odd characters, although the site should function normally.
    Internet explorer on Windows 2000 and Internet Explorer 5.5 on Mac
do not render the drop down menus correctly.

   Thank you.

--
Dave Gutteridge
dave at tokyocomedy.com