[thelist] Organising client files

Steve Clason steve at clason.org
Fri Jan 21 21:43:04 CST 2005

On 1/21/2005 7:41 PM Tim Burgan wrote:

> How do you go about organising client files on your local computer.

There'll be as many answers as there are developers but I'll tell you
what I do.

My workstation runs on WinXP. I have a folder in MyDocuments called
clients (actually several because I do a lot of subcontract work and I
have a folder for each company I sub for). Each client folder contains
an 'htdocs' folder with the site files, an 'assets' folder with
graphics, text documents etc., and an 'acct' file for invoices and
administrative stuff.

A networked testing server runs a LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP)
environment. I use DreamWeaver as an IDE, that makes it easy to upload
files to the Linux box for testing and to the host for site deployment.
It also means I have to create a new Apache virtual host on the Linux
box for each client (and also a new entry in my Win hosts file), but
that is trivial after the first few.

So, while actively working on a site I maintain two copies locally, one
on my workstation and one on the Linux box.  I consider that a good
thing. DW makes it easy to keep them synchronized. When I'm done with a
site I generally clean it off the Linux box (because it has a small HD)
and tidy up my workstation files, deleting unnecessary files and
reorganizing if necessary.

I hope that helps.

--
Steve Clason