[thelist] Logo Design company graphics

dwain dwain at alforddesigngroup.com
Tue Jan 25 21:04:34 CST 2005

Mattias Thorslund wrote:

> dwain wrote:
>

>> all rights costs more.  you have a good solution.  flat fee + /hr
>> after for changes *after they approve a design*.  be sure to specify
>> how many *several designs* are.
>> dwain
>

> Who in their right mind would even consider to buy a logo that they
> don't have all the rights to?  A logo is part of a company's corporate
> identity, so it simply can't be shared. In any case, the contract
> should always say explicitly what rights are transferred from the
> designer to the customer since disagreements on this could mean
> litigation and would be costly to either party.  (exactly)
>
> /Mattias

i wasn't going to say anything about my error and i thought i had
diffused it well in my reply, but since you ask, no one in their right
mind would have a logo designed and not have unlimited use rights to
it.  that's why the prices seem exorbitant sometimes; however, the
copyright is still the property of the designer.  to own the copyright
would cost much money, that's why companies usually don't buy the
copyright; it's an ip thing for the designer as well as a portfolio piece.

dwain

sorry, i was under the impression that the email went to the group.
this reply will make it.