[thelist] encouraging the replacement of Netscape 4

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Wed Jan 26 10:50:56 CST 2005

I have a client who insisted, 18 months ago when their site was
redesigned, that it had to work well (not perfectly) in Netscape 4. I
managed to convince them to include this message in the footer of the
site when viewed in Netscape 4:
   For best viewing, a newer browser is recommended:
   _Netscape 7_, _Mozilla 1_, _Internet Explorer 6_, or _Opera 7_.

In the interests of making the "upgrade" as feasible as possible for
users with older computers (who may not have upgraded due to the
limitations of their computer), are there any other browsers I could
recommend that have very basic hardware requirements (and preferably a
small download)? I was thinking of K-Meleon, but the SourceForge
download page is not very user-friendly. Any ideas or suggestions?

BTW, I checked the stats for the site in question, and Netscape 4 users
have gone down from about 4.1% a year ago to about 1.4% now.

--
Sarah Sweeney  ::  Web Developer & Programmer
Portfolio  ::  http://sarah.designshift.com