[thelist] Re: Logo design...

Mike evolt at muinar.com
Thu Jan 27 12:47:34 CST 2005

At 08:42 27.01.2005 -0800, you wrote:
>Maybe it's still art, but with a very utilitarian purpose.  The customer
>will decide what works for them and if they determine that changing it
>will make it work better, they will definitely demand the rights to do so.
>Makes perfect sense to me, athough I can understand the artist's feelings.
>
>The same ought to be the case for web site designs also BTW.

That really depends if you're on the client's or the webdesigner's side.
Of course, if you're the client, then you might try to get as much as you
can. But why that, if you're webdesigner?

Why give away all the rights, if the customer can then reuse the design
(and f* it up) for other websites and brochureware, including photos
and artwork, and hand over the server-side code to her brother who does
freelance webdesign for other companies?

You have to be in a *very* competitive market, if you give away exclusive
rights that forbid you to reuse and evolve design and code of your current
web projects. Or you enjoy f*ing up the market for your competitors.

_____  mike s. krischker  http://webdesign-schweiz.ch/