[thelist] PHP MySQL Connections

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Thu Jan 27 16:47:32 CST 2005

I'm still pretty new to OOP in PHP, so be easy on me:  I am wondering
about the [in]efficiency of multiple MySQL connections.

Using PHP 4.3.10, MySQL 4.0.something...  I have multiple objects, each
of which instantiates a MySQL connection object - i.e. something like this:
// in class A constructor fn, objDB is instantiated, and relevant
// data is pulled
objA =& new A;

// objA::create_form instantiates instantiates objForm
// objForm itself instantiates its own objDB connection
// to look up form fields
// according to current session/user state
objA->create_form();

// objA::display_page() instantiates objTemplate to display the page
// objTemplate *also* has its own objDB connection (pulling data for
// nav menu items, banner ad, etc
objA->display_page();

So my question is, from the perspective of execution time, is this going
to be much less efficient than say, passing a reference to a single DB
object between the different objects?

Hopefully I am not being overly vague!  (Flame at will if so!)

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
Dynamic Websites and E-Commerce