[thelist] Re: Logo design...

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Fri Jan 28 14:53:59 CST 2005

Viveka Weiley wrote:

>There seems to be an incredible amount of confusion about copyrights,
>patents and trademarks (often put together under the misnomer of
>"intellectual property") in the web design community.

<snipped a lot of useful stuff>

Thanks for this. I note that I have been corrected on a few points but
feel vindicated on most.

A technicality that remains is precisely how similar two designs can be
before it would be considered a copyright infringement.  I'm afraid
there is no absolute answer anyway.  If a designer used copy-and-paste
from one project to another, for different clients, I could see a
problem. But if he's simply re-using design ideas there would be no
problem. Still if it's custom design (and that's the only reason I'd
hire a designer, cause I can copy and paste too), too much imitation
usually means a poor work product.

Best, Mattias

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us