[thelist] should we get a server...?

Chris Johnston fuzzylizard at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 08:47:18 CST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:33:55 +1100, Justin Zachan Mgmt
<justin at jazzmanagement.com.au> wrote:
> Hi there. Hoping to get an answer from any small(ish) businesses out there.
>
> We currently have 3 active computers, 2 MACs and 1 PC networked together
> through a router. One MAC is being used as our main computer for storage.
>
> We have various issues from time to time, dealing with permissions,
> resources, storage, rebooting etc. Storage is probably our biggest issue
> currently.
>
> We think maybe moving to a central server.but not sure exactly why or what
> benefits etc. I figure this will give us more flexibility etc.
>
> Anyway if anyone can offer what they do or point to any resources on this
> subject that would be excellent.

Beyond simply saying that you want to use a server for storage, what
else would you like to use it for? Some questions regarding this
point:

* do you need any form of backup or redundancy with the storage? This
could a computer with a RAID 1 system or simply a script that is set
up to mirrot the storage to a second hard drive

* What kind of storage are you looking for - a centralized, large
partition for anyone and everyone to put stuff, or personal networked
storage areas for each employee?

* Do you need a print server?

Personally, if you can afford it, since you already have several Macs
in your shop, I would suggest getting the smallest XServe you can and
use it as your server. This allows you to use a computer and OS you
are already familiar with (OS X) and it will definitely meet all your
needs.

However, any old computer with a sizeable hard drive and linux
installed will also meet your needs. If the computer is only going to
be used for filing sharing and storage then you definitely do not need
top of the line.

Heck, an external 250Gig Maxtor hard drive connected to one of the
Macs via firewire and shared across the network would also work.

It all depends on what you are looking for.

--
chris johnston

www.fuzzylizard.com

"For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals and
something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination, we
learned to talk."
Pink Floyd