[thelist] RE: common key to good sites

Andy Budd andy at message.uk.com
Fri Jan 28 04:11:45 CST 2005

Steven Streight wrote:

> What do you think is the One Common Key Ingredient
> that makes a web or blog site successful?
>
> Do you know an even better answer, based on your
> privileged experience and insight from battling in the
> trenches?

There is no one answer because it depends on your definition of
successful.

What makes users keep coming back to a site is useful, interesting and
timely content written in the correct voice for the audience. This is
why blogs are so "successful" in terms of building traffic. However
most sites aren't actually about creating repeat visitors.

Some people would consider their blog to be successful simply because
it gives them an outlet for their thoughts and feelings. Others may not
consider their blog successful unless it's getting XX amount of traffic
a month, making $YY from AdSense ads and in the top ZZ of blog sites in
Technorati.

Some business sites may feel that their site is a success if their site
traffic doubles, however for most companies a more realistic measure of
success would be an increase in the number of conversions, a reduction
in support calls, automating their billing systems etc.

So the actual success of a project really depends on the goals of the
site and the metrics you're using to measure that success. However If
we're talking generalities I'd say the success of a site is based on:

Having a site who's content, architecture and core offering meets a
specific user need while at the same site effectively supports the
organisations business goals.

Andy Budd

http://www.message.uk.com/