[thelist] setting up a PHP based mailing list

Matt Warden mwarden at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 00:53:31 CST 2005

Hi Ted,

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 13:05:03 -0500, Theodore Serbinski
<stanson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all! Ok I have a request by a client of ours to setup a mailing
> list for them. I suggested a simple forum, like PunBB would be a much
> better bet for what they want, but they didn't really buy that, ah
> well.
>
> So my question is, how do I setup a mailing list? I'm looking
> primarily for a PHP based one with a simple admin for adding/deleting
> users and creating multiple lists. We are running Apache, PHP, MySQL
> on Windows 2003.
>
> Also, how does this email list handle actual email? Does it work like
> a simple mail server? Never really set one up so very new to this.

There are just about as many answers to that questions as are there
solutions to your problem.

If you give us a better idea of the nature of this mailing list, it
would help. Size? Is it unidirectional (i.e., your client sends out
and that's it)? Etc.

Personally, I am rolling my own, in a sense, and using phpmailer
(phpmailer.sf.net) for the actual sending. phpmailer doesn't support
queueing yet, so you would need to build that in (but I personally
like handling my own queueing anyway). See the other thread I started
about queueing / batch-sending if you go this route.

But, like I said, there are a plenty of full-blown mailing list apps
out there. If you give us more detail, someone an surely help you out.

--
Matt Warden
Miami University