[thelist] Apache server not working for outside connections

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Sat Jan 29 15:03:32 CST 2005

Hi there, Flavia...

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:58:43 -0500
"Flavia Tarzwell (FayeC)" <ftarzwell at fayec.com> wrote:

> Hi Kristian....you are talking Greek to me.....I am going to check

Ooh, sorry for all the tech talk then; I'm into right these things on a
daily basis in my business so those things are just too common
sometimes. :)

> those files and see what they have ..I do know that my httpd.conf has
> listening set to 0.0.0.0:80 so it should be open to all right?

This, as a starting point, is good. Indeed this should allow access to
anyone able to connect to your machine.

> My friend actually told me that when he inputs my IP/Mambo to check
> the site it reverts to 127.0.0.1/Mambo and the last time he tried he
> was able to load the page but it was stripped to the bone...no images
> or css....it was almost like as if the linkage to the image and css

This is bad, I know about this sort of issues in several setups with
different web servers (especially while coupling apache2 with a
Zope-based CMS solution). Few hints on that:

* Please, check your Mambo's configuration.php; there should be an entry
  like "$mosConfig_live_site=http://<something>" . Replace "<something>"
  with the IP address your friend is using while trying to access your
  Mambo installation (since it's not an apache configuration issue, you
  may do that ad hoc without restarting apache, but if you're using a
  dial-up connection with dynamically assigned IP addresses, you have to
  change that every time you're dialing up. This should enable your
  friend to view your Mambo installation in full, given that everything
  else besides the Mambo configuration is fine.

* You might also want to check the apache log files (access.log and
  error.log, please check your httpd.conf to find where they are) to
  see if something funky is going on there...

* If that doesn't get you any further, please feel free to send me your
  configuration.php and your apache configuration files; I may have a
  look at them to spot something strange.

Cheers & good luck,
Kris