[thelist] What is least expensive Mac to use as Web client QA box

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Jan 31 12:03:53 CST 2005

Mark Marlow wrote:
> What is the least expensive Mac and OS configuration I can use as a QA
> machine for client side testing of Web applications.

While I'm mighty tempted by that MacMini as well, if you're just lookin
to do some browser testing you can pick up a G3 with OS X for about $200
on eBay.  I got a blue-and-white G3 with OS X 10.2.3, and got a KVM
switch (USB!!) for $25 or so incl shipping (cf NewEgg.com), works great.
I'm also using it to play with PHP 5 and Apache 2.  Amusingly, the G3
came from another web dev, who was thinning his herd of Macs to justify
picking up a Windows machine for the same purpose of web app testing.

I must say, that even on this G3, OS X is superb.  A good mix of
consumer slickness (e.g. iLife) and Unix power.  If you can afford the
few extra clams for a new Mini, you will likely be pleased with the
purchase.

--
Maximillian Von Schwanekamp
http://www.neptunewebworks.com/