[thelist] PHP Templating recommendations

sbeam sbeam at onsetcorps.net
Mon Jan 31 15:09:27 CST 2005

On Monday 31 January 2005 01:58 pm, Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:
> However there are times when Smarty is a like
> a sledgehammer for a thumbtack.  Can anyone recommend a lightweight,
> *fast*, yet fairly versatile templating class for PHP?  (PHP 4.3.10).

Have heard really good things about Flexy but have not yet had the
pleasure.
http://pear.php.net/package/HTML_Template_Flexy

If you want *fast* you will want to stick with the template engines that
generate PHP code and cache it. This is limited to Smarty, Flexy, Xipe
(AFAIK). Block-replacement parsers like FastTemplate and Sigma seem
simpler but tend to be slow and fragile and have a hard time doing
loops and control structures (ie you cant do nested loops)

Also, a better analogy is that Smarty for small projects is like using a
SUV to go get the groceries. Might a bit more gas, and you don't need
the 4 wheel drive, but so what? It doesn't hurt anything (pollution and
global oil dependency being non-factors in this analogy-world)

You could always just make a PHP-only "template" for smaller projects as
some have suggested. But obviously you have seen the light so we don't
need to start that argument ;)

--

# S Beam - Web App Dev Servs
# http://www.onsetcorps.net/