[thelist] RE: [OT] {TIP} blaster worm punishment

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 1 01:38:21 CST 2005

I didn't mean to start a war for or against Microsoft.

Please, since I started this thread, if you comment, I
wish you'd stick to this:

Are writers of malicious, detrimental code, or anyone
who deliberately damages, or destroys the personal
computers, or corporate networks, of innocent people,
to be punished more harshly than 18 months in jail and
a fine?

I would not go up to your computer and smash it with a
sledgehammer, then say, those damn monitor makers,
using cheap glass again, why won't they use
bullet-proof plexi?

I personally am repulsed and deeply disturbed by the
argument, "such and such software company shouldn't
make OS with lots of security holes".

You're right. We know it was likely an attempt to give
consumers lots of privileges and ignoring security
risks, so as to be popular and sell sell sell.

I dunno.

But that's not the real issue.

Again: women maybe are not smart to dress sexually
provocative, but that doesn't mean that rapists are to
be treated with "understanding their mental illness
and loneliness" and thus punished lightly.

>From a news report on PC WORLD:

"Judge Pechman could have sentenced Parson to as long
as 37 months in prison but chose the lighter sentence
based on Parson's age, history of mental illness, and
lack of parental supervision, according to the
statement distributed by prosecutors.

The judge restricted him from using computers for
anything but educational or business purposes,
specifically forbidding video games and chat rooms."

This is bleeding heart BS to me. Poor lonely worm
writer, indeed. I hate this twerp. How many PCs did he
damage or destroy?

<tip type="usability" author = Steven Streight>A list
of links to other sites, called blogrolls in blog
sites, and just usually just links in web sites, is a
way to convey credibility to users. Users may judge a
web or blog site by what other sites you endorse in
your list of sites. Choose them carefully. Be sure to
list reputable sites with relevant content, to make
your own site look more credible and to make your site
more valuable as a resource for users.</tip>

=====
Steven Streight
Web Usability Analyst & Content Writer
Blogologist