[thelist] RE: contacting Evolt admins

Jason Handby jasonh at corestar.co.uk
Tue Feb 1 02:49:25 CST 2005

Hi Steven, everyone,

> Why would an Evolt member command another member to "stop
> posting on this, go start a blog, etc."???
>
> Heck, just don't open any email on a thread you don't like
> others to debate vigorously but politely.

The reason I like the evolt list is because it's concise, helpful and
actually focused on real questions about real development issues. I like the
fact that it's not full of ranting arguments, like so many other lists I
subscribe to or have done in the past.

There was a time when I loved ranting at great length on mailing lists.
(Just ask anyone who was on Brighton New Media a few years ago.) These days
I've realized that I see the world a certain way, other people see it in
their own ways, and there's no point in our endlessly arguing about it. We
all have work to do, and if we can help each other to get it done then
that's great. And that's why I like evolt so much. Most of the time it's a
list for grown-ups.

Please, people, take a moment to breathe and relax and think about whether
this conversation is contributing to evolt, and to the working lives of the
people who subscribe to it. And if you really want to carry on with it then
please consider doing it somewhere else.

Oh, and I hope we'll see a flood of tips over the next few days. Good ones,
not just made-up flimsy ones to make you feel less guilty. (I posted a free
tip yesterday and I'm cashing it in now! :-) )

Jason