[thelist] Researching other markets

chris hardy lists at semioticpixels.com
Tue Feb 1 12:03:20 CST 2005

Faye,
Fair market pricing *where you live* can be closely tied to business
success.

American/Canadian companies don't charge Indian/Chinese/Russian/* rates
because our cost of doing business is higher and we can't survive in the US
at Indian/Chinese/* rates. It's not because we're greedy.

I would not try to compete on price. There is always someone who's cheaper
who provides the same service (or at least claims to).

That said, I would probably look for a website like Salary.com that lists
positions in that country to get a ballpark figure and then I would
determine whether I could afford to do business at a consultant's rate.

hth
-chris