OT Operating System Design WAS RE: [thelist] RE: blasterwormpunishment

Robert Gormley robert at pennyonthesidewalk.com
Wed Feb 2 05:10:34 CST 2005

Agreed, I've seen Windows services, etc, continue responding after "Windows"
is well and truly dead.

There's no implementation in the kernel... the closer analogy is that it's
like using a *ix in single-user (well, process) mode. You lose the machine
because there's no real parent environment to return to.

Windows Terminal Services is another example - you can fubar your session
without affecting others - though my experience is limited, I've never seen
a terminal user bring down everyone/other people's sessions... and in this
regard, there's a similarity with Unix.

Robert