[thelist] Code Protection

Keith Gaughan keith at digital-crew.com
Wed Feb 2 09:17:45 CST 2005

lmp wrote:

> Code Gurus,
>
> Is there any software that will sort of protect HTML, JavaScript and CSS
> source code? I know nothing can be totally protected but I came across
> these two and wonder if anybody has any comments
>
> http://www.weblockpro.com or
> http://www.newbiehangout.com/protect-html-faq.htm
>
> Thank you,
> Lynn

If it ends up on a user's machine, they can get at it. The best, if you
really think it's that much worth hiding, that you can hope for is to
obfuscate it. But that doesn't really help you much 'cause anybody who
really thinks your stuff is worth stealing is going to be able to
deobfuscate it anyway.

I don't like deliberate obfuscation myself. However, if you're still
sure you want to do it, then you could do a lot worse than Dean Edward's
JS Packer: http://dean.edwards.name/packer/

K.