[thelist] displaying 'disabled' options

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Wed Feb 2 16:25:51 CST 2005

>What advantages/benefits do the users gain by seeing options
>they can't select?

Of what is going to be. I have a site that when managers fill in the blanks
the menu options become available. I'd rather clue the users who're going to
use the menu that there ARE in fact a lot of options, but they're coming
soon. Otherwise, I maaaay have a menu drop down of 0 to a few items to
start. They'll think this site is rather dull because the core content isn't
there. They won't come back to visit.

>What situations might there be where viewing the disabled
>options is a good/bad thing?

I can give you an example. My father was shopping for circular scroll saw
blades at a local hardware store. The hook for this particular model was
there but no products where on it. It did however have a little device
saying, "We're Ordering More of this Item" or "Please inform one of our
associates about this items availability."

Or in my above case, "Inspire your managers to post."

Rob