[thelist] DOM Help

Christian Heilmann lists at onlinetools.org
Thu Feb 3 13:45:57 CST 2005

>>>http://mwarden.f2o.org/sandbox/collapsible_elements.htm
>>>

>>This one assumes that there is only one class in the collapsible element,
>>though, and elements can have more than one class.
>>

>True. I believe it also assumes that there is only one div element in
>the containing div (I did not complete nor test the code that would
>support more, but the starts of it are there). There are methods (that
>I believe even you suggested to me originally) to add a class to a
>list of classes for an element, but AFAIK it is not well supported in
>browsers.

Who told you that? MSIE has some inheritance problems with  classes and
they need not have any whitespace around them, but otherwise it is a
perfectly acceptable solution  and widely supported.
You shouldn't rely much on styling with it, though.
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html
http://dhtmlkitchen.com/learn/css/multiclass/index2.jsp

>>Another point to be aware of is that display:block and display:none are
>>very easy and understandable, but also hide content from assistive
>>technology:
>>http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility
>>

>What would you suggest otherwise? I checked your code to see what you
>were using, but you also use this CSS property.

That is explained in the article above, the idea is to move the element
off the screen via absolute positioning.
For my example of clickable headlines I used it out of sheer lazyness,
in newer scripts however I  tend to move stuff off-left.