[thelist] DOM Help

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Fri Feb 4 14:48:35 CST 2005

Christian Heilmann wrote:
<snip>

>>> Another point to be aware of is that display:block and display:none are
>>> very easy and understandable, but also hide content from assistive
>>> technology:
>>> http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility
>>>

>> What would you suggest otherwise? I checked your code to see what you
>> were using, but you also use this CSS property.
>>

> That is explained in the article above, the idea is to move the element
> off the screen via absolute positioning.
> For my example of clickable headlines I used it out of sheer lazyness,
> in newer scripts however I  tend to move stuff off-left.

Perhaps a silly question, but why would it not be appropriate to hide
the content from assistive technology? You are hiding it from one
browser, why not hide it from all browsers? As long as you have a way
for all browsers to bring the content back again it would seem to make
the most sense to have the same content and the same behavior for all
browsers.

Judah