[thelist] suggested books?

Jono ox4dboy at comcast.net
Fri Feb 4 16:43:07 CST 2005

While "Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook" is
currently my favorite, it is only b/c I read the other books first.
With out O' Reilly's book, and Eric Meyer's books, I would not have
understood much of "Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style
Handbook"   Below are more --> comments.

On Feb 4, 2005, at 3:34 PM, TjL wrote:

> Have about $100 to spend m/l.... what would you suggest?
>
> Here's what I came up with:
>
> Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook (Pioneering
> Series) - Dan Cederholm
--> This has been my favorite book thus far, even more than Zeldman's
Designing with Web Standards.  I don't go anywhere with out both...
that is until I can memorize all the good stuff.

> Defensive Design for the Web : How to improve error messages, help,
> forms, and other crisis points (Voices That Matter) - 37signals;
--> This one was suggested to me by someone I work with, but it is not
as vital at your stage, IMO.

> PHP and MySQL Web Development (3rd Edition) (Developer's Library) -
> Luke Welling; [I have an old one of these... I know just enough
> PHP/MySQL to be dangerous]
---> I am a PHP newbie, and I heard this was THE book to have, so I
picked it up as a Christmas gift.  So far, I am entirely confused, but
I haven't had enough time to really sit down with this book.

> More Eric Meyer on CSS (Voices That Matter) [I'm fairly comfortable
> with CSS, don't know if I need this one]
--> Both Eric Meyer on Css and More Eric Meyer on CSS are excellent, I
read the first one, and then liked it so much, I had to get the second
one.

I also read O' Reilly's Definitive Guide, but only about 2/3 of the
book can be applied due to IE/Win's ( the majority browser ) lack of
support for most of the later 1/3 of that book.  Still a very good
book.  I read them in the following order, in a 4 month span:

1.  O' Reilly's Definitive Guide to CSS
2.  Eric Meyer on CSS
3.  Zelman's Designing with Web Standards
4.  More Eric Meyer on CSS
5.  Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style Handbook
6. still working on PHP and MySQL Web Development (3rd Edition)i