[thelist] RE: suggested books

Steven Streight vaspersthegrate at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 23:43:10 CST 2005

Take my recommendations with the understanding that
I'm a web usability analyst and content writer who is
trying to gain a basic understanding of web building.

I like:

* WEB DESIGN: THE COMPLETE REFERENCE by Thomas Powell
(Osborne/McGraw-Hill)

* WEBMASTER IN A NUTSHELL by Stephen Spainhour &
Robert Eckstein (O'Reilly)

* HOMEPAGE USABILITY by Jakob Nielsen & Marie Tahir
(New Riders)

I have WEB STYLE GUIDE by Patrick Lynch and Sarah
Horton (Yale University Press) but it is so
elementary, like some intro to those who know nothing
at all, yet some may consider it a nice introduction.

And I'll just throw this out and see if anyone has any
thoughts on it. It's not web design, it's about online
communities, ecommerce, dynamics of increasing
returns, etc.:

NET GAIN: Expanding Markets Through Virtual
Communities by John Hagel III & Arthur Armstrong
(Harvard Business School Press)

=====
Steven Streight
Web Usability Analyst & Content Writer