[thelist] RE: search network email files

Kevin Martin evolt at brasscannon.net
Sat Feb 5 07:06:54 CST 2005

Quoth Ken Schaefer,
> Well, I think this is starting to go rapidly off-topic, but since we're
> not challenging the prevailing orthodoxy regarding the uselessness of
> Microsoft Windows, it seems that the thread will continue :-) (that's
> sarcasm, just in case anyone reading is unsure).

See .signature.  :)

> Why implement such a "proxy" system, and why the need to get people to
> change their writing habits. Personally, I think that's a waste of time
> and effort.

Yeahbut, we haven't hanged all the lawyers yet.  I've recently moved
into a slot at a medical school which runs a hospital... which means
that HIPAA is now a part of my life.

The buzz word is "compliance" and Steven has my deepest sympathy.
Take a gander at www.opus-i.com (they were in the same building
as my previous employer, which is the only reason I'm aware of
their existence.)  They do this sort of thing for the financial
world.  The Karbanes Oxley law, whatever that may be.

Rather than reinventing the wheel trying to repurpose some mail
or groupware package, Steven's corporate legal dept will thank
him to go to someone who specializes in this sort of thing.

--
"A virus infects Aunt Minnie's Windows PC and turns it into
a Spam-Spewing Zombie From Hell!!!"  "Oh, the usual."