[thelist] Do comments cause hit on system?

Maximillian Schwanekamp lists at neptunewebworks.com
Mon Feb 7 11:17:53 CST 2005

Chris.Marsh at Callserve.com wrote:
> Comments can certainly be of benefit; a caveat being that since HTML
> comments are accessible to everyone, one should take care with the
> information that's included in source code.
> <!-- The following added by Chris Marsh on 31/12/2005 -->
> This may be of use to other developers, but it's also excellent for
> engineers of the social persuasion.

Where information about the application or developers working on the
project is included in comments, I generally make it a practice to put
the comments in PHP/ASP/etc instead of HTML.  E.g.
/* The following added by Max Schwanekamp 7 Feb 2005
    Addresses problem with foo() output displaying incorrectly on OS Q */

That way others devs with access to the source code can see it, but
"engineers of the social persuasion" see only the parsed output, not the
source code.

Maximillian Von Schwanekamp