[thelist] SSL Certificates

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Tue Feb 8 08:59:56 CST 2005

Bill,

I've used certs from Thawte, Verisign, Comodo, InstantSSL and others.  I can
honestly tell you I've never encountered, or had to troubleshoot for a
client, any instances of users saying that their browser was incompatible
with a certificate.

For that reason, I suggest that to you that price and path back to the root
authority generally drive my decision.  InstantSSL, in my opinion, is not
too bad.  The cert itself is $49/yr and the authority is only a couple
generations off the root.  They have been very accomodating, in the past,
for regenerating certificates if something went wrong.  It's not too tough
to talk to a real person on the phone.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.