[thelist] LAMP vs. Perl vs. Ruby on Rails

Daniel LeVangie-Stricklen muraii at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 15:49:26 CST 2005

Hi there,

I know I've cut a pretty broad swath in the
technological fabric of web development; but I'd like
to know if there are general impressions of the
accessibility if these varied tools/methodologies for
creating dynamic site content.  I am, in practical
terms, a n00b to this stuff, in that I haven't
actually coded anything in MySQL, Perl, Ruby, or PHP;
however, I've read up on different elements of each,
and have some generalized coding experience (limited
C++, more limited Javascripting hacking [i.e. revising
someone else's code]), so the concepts and some of the
executional details of each method aren't completely
alien.

That said, I'd like to enter the world of (at least
superificially) dynamic content development.  It will
likely end up being experimental at first (some
rotating image and/or quotes stuff, more ambitious
experimental things, all for personal use, at least
for now).  Also, since I want to start hacking into my
WordPress install to see what fun I can have, I'll
likely lean toward PHP.  I'm sure that the
technologies aren't mutually exclusive, such that PHP
can call Perl scripts or something.

So, again, the question is: is there an appreciable
difference in the accessibility and, separately, the
ultimate utility, of any of these scripting
languages/technological approaches?

And, again, I understand that this is broad, so I
imagine that there has been such a discussion
somewhere.  A quick Google didn't do much good, so I
thought I'd light up evolt toward my evil goals.
Muhahahaha and all that.

Thank you,

Daniel