[thelist] LAMP vs. Perl vs. Ruby on Rails

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Wed Feb 9 09:43:26 CST 2005

Hi all;

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:49:26 -0800 (PST)
Daniel LeVangie-Stricklen <muraii at yahoo.com> wrote:

> likely lean toward PHP.  I'm sure that the
> technologies aren't mutually exclusive, such that PHP
> can call Perl scripts or something.

Of course.

> So, again, the question is: is there an appreciable
> difference in the accessibility and, separately, the
> ultimate utility, of any of these scripting
> languages/technological approaches?

Difference between languages like Perl, Python and PHP mainly is about
personal preferences IMHO. I personally prefer Perl because

- there are wagonloads of pre-built modules on CPAN doing virtually
  everything;

- it has been around much longer than, for example, PHP and proven to
  be in some fields just cleaner (especially while talking about
  database access where PHP still can't come up against the DBI used
  in Perl allowing access to virtually every sort of SQL source you can
  come up with),

- it is not able per default to embed Perl code into HTML files, thus
  forcing you to separate presentation and business logic (which most
  people seem to forget while creating pages with PHP)

- you might use it for everything ranging from simple CGI to complex,
  powerful applications for example using mod_perl and apache web
  server.

Cheers,
Kris