[thelist] ASP and MS Access Problem

Hershel Robinson hershelr at netvision.net.il
Wed Feb 9 13:52:05 CST 2005

I have ASP code that accesses a MS Access database on a Win 2K Server
machine. The code has been in place and working for 6 months. This week,
when I go to some pages I see this:

---
Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

/global.inc, line 7
---

then if I refresh, the page works. Refresh again once or twice and the error
returns. I downloaded the DB and did a "Compact and Repair Database" (as
suggested by a certain website [1]) and uploaded but it seems not to help.

The server admin says he installed a few MS hotfixes a few weeks ago, but
aside from that, he is not aware of any changes on the server.

Visitors reported this error this week.

I tried changing that line 7 in global.inc to use a different connect
string, to use:

"Provider=Microsoft.JET.OLEDB.4.0;User ID=Admin;Password='';Data
Source="+Server.MapPath("articles.mdb")

instead of:

"DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=" &
Server.MapPath("articles.mdb")

and that seemed to work at first. Then later we noticed that only some pages
worked and others did not work. I had thought that when I first made the
change, all the pages worked.

I tried changing back and now none of the pages work!

I do not know ASP and this is not my code, but I am in charge of this site
now. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Hershel

[1] http://www.webwizguide.info/asp/faq/access_database_faq.asp