[thelist] possible to wrap lines up instead of down?

Mattias Thorslund mattias at inreach.com
Thu Feb 10 14:16:17 CST 2005

Rob Smith wrote:

>>You mean printing separate rows of tabs?
>>

>Isn't that what you're trying to do?
>
>| K L M     |
>| F G H I J |
>| A B C D E |

Yes, exactly.

>I can fathom a set number of items per row rather easily just by including
>the minimum number per row that the smallest browser width can hold. But
>having them wrap up, as Jay said, can be complex.

The width of the tabs is dynamic, too. Some contain just one word, some
can be 3 or 4 words long. So, while I could decide to hard-wrap the rows
at a particular number of tabs, it would look pretty inconsistent and
puzzling to the user. OK, so I can count the number of characters and
then decide where to wrap. But still, it will look tacky on most
browsers since the wrapping is done to accommodate the smallest browser...

>"It doesn't have to be right, It just has to get going."
>
>Get the set number of tabs per row on the way up while you figure out the
>wrapping part during the maintenance period for your client $-)

Heh... Putting off the hard part for later is always an option.

Anyway, I had hoped that someone had solved this already :-)

/Mattias

--
More views at http://www.thorslund.us