[thelist] ASP and MS Access Problem

Ken Schaefer Ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Feb 10 20:00:33 CST 2005

As someone mentioned, "unspecified errors" are one of the banes of using Jet

Suggestions:
a) make sure you are using the OLEDB Provider not the ODBC driver. A number
of fixes have been make to the OLEBD Provider that are not in the
corresponding ODBC driver
b) ensure that you have the latest MDAC (v2.8)
c) update to the latest Jet Service Pack (SP8) on top of MDAC 2.8
d) run the ComCheck tool from the Microsoft site to validate that you have
correct and matching versions of the MDAC .dlls

If you are still having issues, you are either using a debugging tool like
IISState, or move to MSDE.

Lastly, can I strongly recommend that you implement a custom 500-100 error
handler for your site (eg an ASP page). You can have that page log errors to
a DB, or email you the details of the error. Then you'll at least be aware of
when these errors are occurring, and how many times (as well as being able to
display a nice message to the end user). Depending on the number you get, you
can determine whether you need to build a business case to migrate to another
backend datastore.

Cheers
Ken

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239114