[thelist] Web server settings question

Garrick S. Bodine (Shan) gsb at athenswebdevelopment.com
Thu Feb 10 21:13:14 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 14:59 -0500, Brooking, John wrote:
> I'm not sure what the server is, but the provider is
> www.hypermart.net. Can someone tell me if there is such a setting in any
> or all of the major servers? If you happen to know what server this
> provider is running, that would be even better! Thanks!

They look like a Unixy kind of virtual host. Their own site runs on
Linux, at least. It sounds to me like the cgi-bin on an Apache is
misconfigured.

It should be placed outside of document root where normal browser
requests can't browse and then script-aliased. This ensures that the
documents are executed and not served. That's why on a properly
configured cgi-bin, you get a 500 error when requesting documents other
than scripts.

HTH,
shan